Chief Executive Officer
Founder and CEO of the company, Head of Research and Consultancy.
International Macroeconomics, Trade Negotiations & Policy, Investment & Export Strategies, Digital Trade & E-Commerce, Economic Modelling.
Paul is the founder and CEO of International Economics Consulting Ltd., and currently manages the company’s research activities and heads its consultancy arm.
Paul has over 25 years of experience as an economic adviser to Governments ranging from G7 to G90 countries, and has held lead economist positions to carry out strategies for a range of clients, such as the EU’s DG Trade and DG INTPA, Germany’s Federal Ministry for International Cooperation and Development, New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, UK’s Department for International Trade, UK’s Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, and Trade Ministries across the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, Central, South and East Asia, and Pacific. He regularly works with the World Bank, World Economic Forum, World Trade Organisation, Asian Development Bank and UN agencies. He has lived in 14 different countries and worked in over 70 countries.
For his significant contribution and extensive experience in his professional field, Paul has been named a Global Leader in Trade & Customs by Who’s Who Legal for the last six consecutive years. He currently serves as a Board Member of UNESCAP’s Trade Intelligence Negotiation Advisor and Research Advisor at ARTNeT, the largest trade research network in the Asia-Pacific. He is a member of the expert group in the World Economic Forum trade, data flows and technology space, and a member of the UNESCAP-WTO COVID-19 recovery through trade task force. He founded the World Bank-UNRC-IEC COVID-19 recovery and research platform. He is a visiting professor at the College of Europe and has been a faculty member and visiting professor at international universities in Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
A sample of recent solutions delivered by Paul include:
- Developing analytics, and economic models to help several Governments determine sustainable and high growth trade pathways for their economies.
- Identifying digital ledger technologies solutions for development financing and trade across a range of markets.
- Building a continental wide approach to e-payments to support digital trade and e-commerce in Africa.
- Designing robust and effective monitoring, evaluation and learning systems to track SDG progress against trade policy objectives for a global client.
- Advising businesses in Southeast Asia on eMarketplaces and digitalisation strategies to acquire new business segments.
- Launching and co-founding with major development banks and international organisations a COVID-19 recovery platform for regional business solutions.
- Designing strategies for Global Value Chain post-COVID-19 in East Asia in several sectors, including agro-processing, electronics, auto, medical device, footwear and apparel and clothing.
- Identifying investment and trade opportunities for multinationals in Africa, post-AfCFTA.
The Consulting team, led by Paul and working with the Analytics and Cognitive team, led by Neetish Hurry, Director of Analytics and Cognitive Computing, are also responsible for creating the following data analytics solutions, all available in our website:
- COVID 19 Platform, an interactive and dedicated platform sharing knowledge on the economic impact of the coronavirus on international trade.
- UK Trade Agreements After Brexit dashboards offering interactive summary analytics on the trade captured by trade agreements, signed by the UK government with other countries, with a deep-dive analysis on sector and product-level market access.
- Trade Insights Dashboards, which aim to share and distribute some of the company’s analytical work on trade and investment with the general public.
Paul has obtained rigorous academic training in economics at ranked global universities (Universities of Paris-Sorbonne, London SOAS, MIT, Harvard Business School, University of California Berkeley). He holds an MSc (Econ) in Economics of the Asia Pacific Region and a Master’s degree in Financial Engineering. He completed Executive Programmes in Strategy, Computational Learning, Complex Dynamic Systems and Big Data.
- Native in English and French.
- Knowledge of Spanish.