Our Mission & Approach
Why a COVID-19 Research Platform?
This platform is hosted with the objective of sharing research, data, analysis, and other resources on the impact of COVID-19 in the context of the island economies of the Indian Ocean. The Platform aims to serve as a central repository for academic research and analytical work on COVID-19 in the region. The platform also hosts a series of online events, in the form of scientific symposiums, to:
- showcase the approaches and results of research conducted on the impacts of the COVID-19 crisis; and
- facilitate further analytical research by raising awareness on potential research areas, improving access to data sources, and fostering cooperation between research teams.
The platform, managed by International Economics Consulting Ltd. (IEC), aims to encourage collaboration between researchers and decision-makers from governments, academia, civil society, and international development partners. The World Bank and the United Nations have partnered with IEC in establishing this one-of-a-kind platform.
- Identify the key research questions surrounding COVID-19 recovery that policymakers and the private sector need answers to.
- Present and discuss existing methodological frameworks, data sources, existing studies, and results on COVID-19 recovery.
- Map the resources and existing research interests; and
- Identify potential areas for collaboration between academics, international organisations, NGOs, and public-private sectors.
In support of governments’ efforts to address the effects of the economic downturn triggered by the COVID-19 health crisis, various actors from governments, private sector, academia, and development partners are undertaking assessments and studies, individually and in groups, to inform decisions for mitigation and recovery efforts.
The COVID-19 Research Platform, established at the onset of the pandemic, aims to promote the coordination of resources and expertise around the analytical work being done on COVID-19 impacts in order to assist Small Island Developing States of the Indian Ocean in overcoming the setbacks caused by the global pandemic.
We identify and analyse the key research questions critical for COVID-19 recovery. We ensure that existing resources on COVID-19 are disseminated effectively and become accessible to all. By conducting cross-country analysis, we promote the sharing of knowledge, expertise, and experience on the best strategies and solutions that countries have devised in their efforts to adapt to the new social and economic landscape and eventually bounce back. Events and webinars, open for a wide audience, will be held regularly to present progress, learn from the methods and results identified, and ensure that decision-makers are informed with evidenced-based analyses and policy options, in a timely manner.